Here are just a few tips to help keep you and your property safe:
Make sure all gate latches, garage and shed doors are closed and locked when not in use. Even if stepping inside for “just a minute” be sure to lock up!
- Grills, lawn mowers and other valuables should be stored in a locked garage or shed. Anything left outside, such as bicycles, should be locked and secured to a permanent fixture such as a column or fence post.
- Don’t leave lawn equipment unattended and out of your sight. It only takes seconds to put a lawn mower or weed eater in the back of a truck and drive away.
- Make a list of serial numbers for all your valuables. This includes lawn equipment and bicycles too.
- Make sure all doors are locked at night and every time you leave the house. Pay extra attention to the door leading from the garage to the house. Make sure it is locked too!
- Remove garage door openers from vehicles whether your vehicles are parked in your garage or not. This gives thieves the opportunity to come back later and burglarize your house.
- Don’t hide your extra house key in an obvious place. Leave with a trusted neighbor or family member.
- Keep an eye out for your neighbors and get to know them. If they leave a garage door open let them know. Also, be aware of when your neighbors go out of town.